CITIES4FORESTS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is Cities4Forests?
Cities4Forests is an initiative that aims to catalyze political, social and economic support among city governments and urban residents to integrate the inner, nearby and faraway forests into city development plans and programs. Cities4Forests cultivates awareness on the part of urban residents to recognize the important role of forests and trees to human wellbeing. The project seeks to stimulate action to better conserve, manage and restore those forests.
2. Who are the founding partners of Cities4Forests?
3. Who funds Cities4Forests?
Cities4Forests is funded by Norway’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI), the FEMSA Foundation and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). For more details about supporting Cities4Forests, visit: www.cities4forests.com/funders/
4. How many cities have joined Cities4Forests?
In 2018, more than 60 cities from around the globe have joined Cities4Forests. For the full list of participating cities, please visit: www.cities4forests.com/cities
5. What do cities get from joining Cities4Forests?
By joining Cities4Forests, cities receive technical support from leading forest experts, access to special tools, research and other resources, and access to a unique network of other cities working on forest issues at a variety of scales. For example, cities will benefit from:
- workplace assistance and forums for peer-to-peer exchange and learning
- technical assistance in the form of a “forest footprint” analysis and activity prioritization
- links to climate and resilience strategies
- a database of tools and programs to help cities select the interventions that best suit their needs
- introduction to financing sources
- a citizen engagement and communications package to reach city residents.
6. What is the time commitment needed from participating cities?
The time and resource commitment for Cities4Forests will vary depending individual city. For many cities, the commitment is likely to be about 1 day per month, once the partnership is active.
7. What is unique about Cities4Forests?
Cities4Forests is the only global platform that connects cities from around the world with forests within their boundaries, as well as those nearby and faraway. Participating cities will have access to special tools, databases and technical assistance in the form of a peer-to-peer exchange network; support to conduct impact and dependency analyses on forests to identify issues, quantify benefits, and support further prioritization; financial capacity-building in the form of a financing database, search assistance, and proactive match-making; and a citizen engagement communication package highlighting best practices and city leadership.
8. What technical assistance will Cities4Forests provide to participating cities?
Cities4Forests conducts a city prioritization exercise to identify which offers makes most sense for each city. Areas of technical assistance include science, policy, economics, finance, land-use planning, supply-chain management, collaboration and innovation and movement building.
9. Are financial resources available to cover city employee staff time and travel to C4F events?
Cities will be responsible for paying their own staff time. For cities facing financial constraints, a limited budget may be provided to cover travel costs for some of the city’s representatives to attend Cities4Forests events.
10. Will Cities4Forests support city partners to fundraise for tree planting, protection and restoration projects in their cities?
The Cities4Forests Secretariat will support participating cities to fundraise for tree-planting and protection programs via: (1) a database of financing products and sources, both domestic and international and public and private; (2) search support and capacity-building from founding partners; and (3) pro-active introduction and matchmaking with funders.
11. When are the next Cities4Forests events?
Cities4Forests plans to host one global convening per year, and several regional gatherings in parallel with other international and regional conferences and events. For more information on our events and timeline of activities, visit: www.cities4forests.com/events